Monday, 2 January 2017

Eczema and Chocolate



     Christmas and New Year have taught me something I hadn't realised - chocolate causes my eczema. At least I think it does. I often suffer from dry, red scaly patches of eczema on the bridge of my nose and up into my forehead. It can go into my eyes meaning I can't wear make-up most of the time and even deep into my ears.

     The ears are the worst part in some ways, because they then get infected, become very raw, bleed and cause infection. They also cause swelling as the infection spreads to the jaw, thereby making it hard to eat and rendering me pretty deaf until the drops work and the swelling reduces again.

     As many of you following this blog might know, I've been struggling with my weight for some time now. In the last year, I was diagnosed with diabetes - a much needed wake up call - and so recent months saw me cutting right back on sugary things.


     Chocolate was my favourite and I haven't really eaten any for some time - until Christmas arrived. It was only when the bridge of my nose became bright red and scaly again, I realised my eczema hadn't been playing up for quite some time.

     My ears had remained dry and instead of daily ointment or drops, I hadn't needed to use either for the last couple of months - till now. I sat puzzling over what was different now than the last couple of months, but nothing came to mind. It was only as the ears became worse, it registered the only difference in my life was the chocolate I'd been eating from Christmas stocking fillers.

     Years ago, I discovered the smell of raw onions (or any of the onion family) was what had been giving me severe four day migraine's. Since not having any raw onions near me again, I've never had headaches in the twenty years since. How wonderful if I have now found the trigger for my eczema as well.

     The chocolate has been given away and drops are presently being administered. I shall be keeping a close eye on what happens in my chocolate free months ahead and will be interested to see if I remain free of the troubles. I'll keep you posted, but if you suffer from it too, why not try giving up chocolate with me and see if yours improves also?


No comments:

Post a Comment