Wednesday, 3 August 2011

No News From Hay House Yet

Before I went on holiday, I sent my latest book, How To Know If You're a Medium to Hay House and I still haven't heard back from them. I know quite a few people are waiting for it to be published but until I have heard back from them I can't do anything with it. I don't hold out much hope they'll want it and if that sounds defeatist it really isn't meant to be as I am a very positive person, but I am also realistic.

These days, those of us involved in writing or the publishing world have seen changes that mean only those who are well-known get publishing deals. It is very rare new authors get a look in at all and even those who have had work published in the past are being turned away in some cases. Only twice have I sent my books anywhere and each time I was told they love what I've written but as I'm not well known enough they can't take a risk yet and please would I come back with it when I am better known.

The above is happening to many of my author friends as well and it is a sad reflection on the reading habits of the world today that's causing it. That and the craze for so-called celebrity. Most children, it is said, don't read books and aren't encouraged to by their parents. Many of them are just plonked in front of televisions or computers and left to their own devices so parents won't be disturbed. They explain away their lack of parenting by saying what the child watches on tv or does on their computer is educational. I think we all know that's a load of rubbish and most learning in life is done from reading, reading, reading.

Many parents have themselves said they have never read a book in their lives. That together with the mentality of many people who only want to read about women who marry footballers, reality show participants, self styled so-called celebrities and the like means publishing houses will only take risks on that sort of book these days. The sad thing is, many of these books have not even been written by the people whose names appear on the front and yet they often receive millions in advances for something they have not done any work on. Their books are usually written by ghost writers who get a small percentage for listening to what they're told and then making it into a story worth buying - or not!

Luckily, there are still many people who enjoy fiction and non fiction by non celebrities, but these are mainly now self-published and sold on Amazon Kindle. Every book I have ever read has taught me something. There are also book snobs who say most novels aren't real books and teach nothing - that is so wrong. I read a wide variety of books on all subject matters in both fiction and non-fiction and have found many authors have done extensive research into their subject matter. Whilst this can't be said of all writers and all books, there is still usually something I learn that I never knew previously.

I, and many like me, still persevere and every now and then approach a book publisher hoping one will actually take a chance on an unknown. If I am offered a deal no one will be more surprised than me, but for now I have to wait. I submitted my book and so it is only right I wait for the rejection that is possibly to follow. Until I hear from them, I'm afraid the book is on hold. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything and will then self-publish it as quickly as possible. Who knows, I might just have a lovely surprise, but I'm not holding my breath.


Please bear with me in the next couple of week’s as we’re moving house and I might not be able to update as often as I’d like to during that period. Thank you.
MY BOOKS
To Buy on German Amazon CLICK HERE

2 comments:

  1. I hope you hear soon and it's good news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck.

    I am an avid reader and do not know what I would do without books.

    ReplyDelete