Friday, 25 February 2011

Vive La Différence

Has anyone else found that people are of the opinion that we should all like the same things and think alike? I have noticed an odd trend lately of people being shocked because I don't like the same things they do. The fact I have my own opinions also seems to offend them somehow. I'll give an example. I was shown a coat in a shop, I didn't like the style for me and was asked why not. I stated it was to frilly at the bottom and that I like plain things. Apparently, because it cost a lot and was meant to be fashionable, I was told I should like it and was looked at most strangely as though I was peculiar. Another example is, I don't do lifts unless they are glass ones. Again I was looked at oddly and asked why-ever not. I said I don't like lifts as I feel claustrophobic being closed-in and was told I was being daft. Why was I? That's how I feel and I'm entitled to feel that way no mater what others think.

I am shown books and told I should like them as they are in the top ten best sellers list. I don't care if the books are gold plated and diamond encrusted, if I don't like the content I don't and that's all there is to it. It's the same with flying, cruising, food tastes or preferences and in fact, anything at all. If you have a mind or opinion of your own about what you like or don't like these days, you are called opinionated and looked at as thought you are strange.

I do have opinions, I have my own taste in things, have never followed fashion and like classical taste in clothes, home furnishings and most other things. I am not into talking about children or children's things when I'm out and never have been. They are ok, but I don't want to talk about them all day thanks. That doesn't make me a child hater, it just means that at 55 years of age I'm not in the child frame of mind. I've been there and done it and there is far more to life for me these days - I've moved on. I prefer animals to people most times and am classed as being a little eccentric. Well you know what? I like eccentric, I like having my own ideas, tastes, likes and dislikes. I don't like having to be a sheep and follow all the latest trends in talk, music, clothes or conversation.

I am entitled to like something different from you just as you are entitled to like things different to me and if we were to get together and have a conversation, we just might find we have far more to talk about because of our differences of opinion and ways of living than those who can only talk on one subject, whatever that subject is at the time. How boring if we all liked the same things, talked about them non stop and believed in the same as each other. You know what I say? vive la différence!

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one Lorraine. We are all different and are allowed to like different things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touche!!!!

    I agree how boring life would be if we were all the same.

    I also agree, most days, I prefer the company of animals...there I said it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh. It is so damned good to read your posts, Lorraine, you reafirm my belief that individuality has not been lost after all.

    Eccentric...yes! At last I have gone beyond just being that odd woman that doesn't talk much. To "Oh she's a writer ... eccentric you know." With the nods of understanding that are suddenly accompanied by smiles and not the whispered assides of oddity. All it took was 56 years and a mind and mouth of my own. Thank heaven for eccentricty...it has kept me sane...almost.

    ReplyDelete