Thursday, 11 November 2010

Keeping Fit Hurts


This morning I went to the gym for my first work out. Or so I thought. I was shown the machines and how they worked, what to do and how long I should do things at first. Oh how funny. There was me saying I walked quite a lot anyway so intended starting with an hour on the treadmill and would try to work up to the other machines gradually. The chap in charge smiled wryly when I said that and I couldn't understand why. I can now.

One hour? I managed 10 minutes! I needed to have a breather and then struggled through a further five minutes to make a grand total of quarter of an hour. No one told me a treadmill wasn't the same as walking for real. It is really hard work. When I got off, the floor was moving under my feet. It was the most peculiar sensation. If you've never tried it you should. It was hilarious, the sweat was running down my face and my calf muscles were killing me. They were burning so much and now I'm worried all the cramp I had will come back.

Apparently, I should go on alternate days and not each day. Really - is that right? And who exactly said I will be going back again? Is it this bad for everyone when they start or is it because of my age? I may be 55, but I'm only 20 years old and a size 10 inside. I wouldn't mind, but all that effort and the machine said I only burnt off 33 calories. That's about one grain of rice I think.

I am deciding whether to go back and struggle through another 15 minutes of calf burn. I'll let you know if I do. I have a day to think about it and maybe I'll end up going to weight watchers instead.

6 comments:

  1. You are too funny! Keep up the good work, it does get a little easier . Just started working out myself again after many years...could hardly walk for two days after the first night. Lookingf forward to hear how you are making out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine - you crack me up on the gym story.... So, are you going back? It always hurts the first week or so, but stick with it - you never know, you may find it addictive..... Paul G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Lorraine, keep going!!! good for the mind and body.....Nikkixxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are quite mad but lovely with it!
    Margaret xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was the same and I am not 55 yet. I absolutely love the cartoon Bahaaaaa! So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have a Curves nearby? They have full workouts for women that take 30 minutes. And yes, every second day is good, especially to start with. Gets your body used to it. On the second day you walk or swim or something.

    ReplyDelete