Monday, 6 September 2010

Men and Their War Films

Why are men obsessed with war films and sport? I have just gone into the sitting room to watch some television for a change and yet another war film is on. I wouldn't mind, but it's the same ones over and over for the last goodness knows how many years. What is this obsession?

Most evenings I sit in my study and work on my laptop. I'm either working on one of my books or doing something on one of my two blogs or the Authors on Show site. Of my books, I have maybe four works in progress. Never one to do things in a small way, I can't settle for writing one book, I have to work on several at once. That's probably why they are all rubbish at present and still works in progress.

My husband complains I'm always in here, but quite frankly, I don't want to watch films with loud bangs and screams. Nor do I want to watch cricket or golf. You can guarantee that any time I walk into the room, it is one of those things that's on. BORING with big fat capital letters. Why can't they watch anything else? There are so many channels to pick from and yet it's always the same three. Why pay for the full Sky package?

Each time I walk in, he says it'll be finished soon and is there anything I want to watch. How do I know - I can't get hold of the remote to look and see if there's anything on that I'd find interesting. I sit and wait for the 'soon' to happen. I wait and I wait some more. I eventually realise there is another hour to go. No point in waiting then. I go back to my room and start work and he follows about an hour later asking what's wrong and why didn't I want to watch the television. I try hard not to scream at him and pretend I never heard the question.

I usually go to bed reasonably early as I like to be up with the larks in the mornings. I can't lie in bed once I'm awake, so go to bed early in order to read before sleep. I like to be there between 10 and 10.30 so what happens? He comes into my study at about quarter to ten and says, here you are, the film/cricket/golf is finished now, you can watch what you want. Gee thanks.

I think I'll have a go on bejewelled blitz now my moan is over. For those who don't know, it is a game on FaceBook and it makes lots of explosive noises too. My little bit of relaxation when the brain goes into zombie mode after too much work. In fact, I think I'll go and have a game now. See if my explosions can match the ones coming from the television.




2 comments:

  1. Lorraine, my love, we're kindred spirits you and I. I SO sympathise, it's the same in this house. If it's not a war film, it's a western, if it's not football it's cycling...or worse, the Simpsons. Boring. I haven't watched TV for about 4 months.
    At least, like you, I can go into the garret and lose myself in the lappy and much like yourself, I'm on my 4th effort so there's a lot to get lost in.
    Men, pfft, what are they like...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. men like these things.. it's normal.. like women love to gas on teh phone about nothing for hours on end.. drives men mad

    ReplyDelete